May 22, 2007

Chargin' to Jersey


Driving in New Jersey is ridiculous. Oh, but you already knew that, right? "You're so brave," is the reaction I got most when telling people that I was driving out to Montville. "But I'm from Los Angeles," I declared. "Driving is like breathing to me."

So I headed boldly to Avis and got me a steel blue Dodge Charger...

After tackling the mess of NY/NJ roads and byways, I will say this: What you East Coast-ers consider highways, is just sad. That BQE thing is so narrow and confining. And people don't care if there are lines to distinguish between lanes. Drivers meander all over the road. And how 'bout once in New Jersey, there are several different exits for one exit! Do y0u want 17A or 17B or 17C? It's just stupid and confusing, but again, you knew that. And if you don't immediately turn once you see the exit sign, then you've missed it. On the West Coast, there are signs miles away from turnoffs, informing you that you'll be turning in two miles. Then there will be another sign a mile away, and then one a half mile away. Clarity, that's what it's about, and there's none of it in Jersey.

But I did make my trek out there a little more worthwhile by visiting Ikea, which was kind of a bust. They were out of those pillows I wanted and then there were screeching children by the dozens. Ain't no better form of birth control than the children's section of Ikea on a Saturday morning. But you knew that too, right?

So why was I driving to New Jersey? To interview photographer Ron Galella for powerHouse magazine's next issue...to be continued...

No comments: